After months of wearing floaty dresses and sandals, the arrival of autumn is finally approaching. However, it can be challenging when it comes to everyday outfit choices. So to save you from panic-buying too many new-season purchases, we’ve rounded up what we believe to be the six core items essential to a hardworking autumn wardrobe. You’ll be prepared for anything your calendar throws at you with these pieces—day or night, work or the weekend. Plus, you won’t overspend, meaning you can invest in more trends and winter clothes when the temperature really drops. Keep scrolling to see and shop our ultimate autumn-ready edit.
- Blazer – Style Notes: Swap your denim jacket for a tailored blazer and style it with everything from jeans and tee to midi dresses and knee-high boots.
- Printed Midi Dress – Style Notes: No wardrobe is complete without a midi dress (or two), and right now, printed styles with sleeves are our autumn saviours.
- Trench Coat – Style Notes: Classic or heritage-checked belted trench coats are the perfect transitional cover-ups. When the temperature drops, take a cue from the style set and layer it under your chunky winter coat.
- Boilersuit – Style Notes: A boilersuit is an outfit-in-one and a key trend for autumn. The best way to approach it? Go for styles that are cropped with slightly flared legs. Stick to neutral tones and heavy denim or corduroy for the coolest touch. Finish with ankle boots, mules or trainers.
- Knitwear – Style Notes: Whether you’re topping up last season’s collection or just looking for new iterations, we’d always recommend investing in a handful of great knits to take you through fall and winter.
- Boots – Style Notes: When looking ahead to boot trends, there’s no one style reigning supreme, which is great news, as you can choose the shape that best suits your wardrobe needs. Our top picks? White Western boots, something tall and slouchy or “wear with everything” black pointed-toed boots.